How to Use Custom Teeth Whitening Trays
Posted by DR. PANCHAL on Jun 23 2020, 05:52 AM
Teeth whitening treatments can make your teeth eight shades whiter in as little as an hour. These treatments are done using hydrogen peroxide or carbamide as the active ingredient that bleaches away discoloration and stains on a person's teeth.
These whitening treatments are often done using custom teeth whitening trays that promote even whitening and prevent the whitening product from getting into the gums and causing irritation.
To make a custom mouth tray, the dentist has their patient bite down on a mold leaving an impression of their teeth. This mold is sent to a dental lab that makes custom whitening trays. It takes about two weeks for the tray to be ready.
Teeth whitening with custom trays
The two main types of teeth whitening treatments dentists provide are in-office and at-home whitening treatments. In-office whitening gives patients the fastest results, but at-home whitening treatments are more affordable. Either treatment will get patients the white teeth they desire. In-office whitening leads to faster treatments because they are done using concentrated products that are not sold to the public.
Here are the instructions for properly using a custom mouth tray to whiten teeth:
- Patients are advised to brush their teeth before starting whitening treatments. The products used to bleach teeth work best on clean surfaces. Patients should test out their tray by wearing it without any whitening product to see how well it fits. The tray should be cleaned and dried afterward.
- The bleaching agent should be spread evenly on the mouth tray, using the exact amount recommended by the dentist.
- Insert the mouth tray into the mouth and bite down on it. The tray should be firmly pressed against the teeth at this point. Any excess gel that flows over the top of the tray should be wiped off with a cotton swab.
- The mouth tray should be worn for about two hours for the best results. Those with sensitive teeth should only bleach their teeth for about an hour. It is best to bleach the top and bottom sets of teeth at the same time.
- Once the time has passed, remove the tray and rinse off any leftover bleach from teeth surfaces. The patient might notice white spots on their teeth after bleaching. This is caused by teeth being dehydrated during whitening treatments and these spots should disappear within an hour. Avoid foods that can stain teeth for the first couple of hours after whitening teeth.
- The mouth tray can be cleaned with a toothbrush and water. It should be stored in a cool, dry place along with the bleaching product. The whitener can also be stored in a refrigerator to increase its shelf life. Most bleaching products can be safely stored for at least a year.
Whiten your teeth with a custom mouth tray
Call or visit our Hanford clinic if you need a custom mouth tray to whiten your teeth. Our dentist will ensure your teeth are healthy enough for teeth whitening and provide you with a custom mouth tray.
Request an appointment here: https://hanfordcosmeticdentist.com or call Rushi Panchal DDS at (559) 426-1124 for an appointment in our Hanford office.